Dragonmoon Tea Company: My Cup of Tulsa Tea

Posted by Tasha on November 26th, 2009 in Food

Dragon Moon Tea Company

The first time I heard about Dragonmoon Tea Company was in a tweet from the mayor of Tulsa herself, Kathy Taylor. She mentioned she’d eaten there for lunch that day, and I was surprised. Lunch at a tea company? Dragonmoon sounded more like a fancy name for another Oz competitor to me.

Last week, I learned just how wrong-headed I’d been.

Dragon Moon Tea Company

Two girlfriends, my toddling son and I stopped in to Dragonmoon, at 1927 S. Harvard Ave., for lunch and we, not to be cliche, got a lot more. By the end of the meal we’d shared a pot of warm, spicy, almost buttery White Christmas tea and three plates’ full of desserts and pastries. That was in addition to the two helpings of rich, cheesy quiche wrapped in the flakiest of crusts, as well as a pita sandwich to end all pita sandwiches.

Dragon Moon Tea Company

Look at the pretty china we got to use. I felt like a dainty English gentlewoman. A dainty English gentlewoman with a wriggling, quiche-covered toddler on my lap.

Did I mention that we ordered potato salad, too? And cold, citrus-spiced rice? Well, we did. Oh, boy, did we ever.

Dragon Moon Tea Company

Just as charming as the china and the food is the cafe itself. Housed in what appears to have once been a family home (anyone know the history of this building just north of 21st and Harvard?), the two first-floor dining rooms host just a few tables – ours had four. On the walls were two large pet portraits by local artist Matt Moffett.

Lovely, no?

Dragon Moon Tea Company

The painting, I mean. Not that the girls aren’t lovely, because they most certainly, definitely are. Thing is, these girls also happen to be the salt of the earth. They spend their days making Tulsa a better place from their offices at a few of Tulsa’s YWCA locations.

What they and the people they work with manage to do for the people of this community in need of YWCA services (all 25,000 of them, the number who participated in YWCA programs last year) within the span of an average work day blows my mind. Hey, YWCA? Thank you.

When it comes to friends, I’m something the kids these days like to call lucky.

Dragon Moon Tea Company

See that girl on the left? Her name is Wendy. I’ve known Wendy for almost four years now. She helped me to stay sane during my first job as a reporter. She also helped me test I don’t know many of the renditions of bread pudding available in this town. To say that we’re versed in the genre, at least when it comes to what Tulsa has to offer, is the understatement of the entirety of custard history.

Of course, when we saw that bread pudding was on the menu at Dragonmoon, we couldn’t pass it up.

Dragon Moon Tea Company

Mmm – bread pudding that looks like it wants to fight me. Just the way I like it. Give me bread pudding with texture and interest over the smooth, creamy kind any day.

Dragon Moon Tea Company

Oh, man. That tea just wouldn’t stop. A pot of it sounds really good right about now. Too bad I didn’t snag any on my way out from the small tea and gift shop at the front of the cafe. Doh.

Half a pot of tea, a hearty slice of quiche, a large scoop of potato salad and a plate of bread pudding with whiskey sauce totaled $15. It’s not the most inexpensive lunch I’ve ever had, and I certainly wouldn’t pay $15 for lunch every day (not that I don’t want to when it comes to some yummy nosh), but it’s certainly a fair price for an occasional treat.

Dragon Moon Tea Company

When you give this place a try, be sure to tell me what kind of tea you had. I’m dying to go back and try more, both from the hot and cold tea menus, and I’d love some good advice.

After all, what would a tea company be without lots and lots and lots of selection when it comes to, well, tea?

If you’ve tried Dragonmoon, tell us about it in the comments. In the meantime we’ll be doing what tea drinkers do – putting the kettle on and making cranberry-orange scones and idly building pyramids of lumps of sugar, anticipating that next cup.

Dragonmoon Tea Company
1927 S. Harvard Avenue
(918) 742-8322
Tuesday-Firday, 9am-6pm; Saturday, 10am-5pm
Dragonmoon on Facebook

Dragonmoon Tea Co. on Urbanspoon

You might also like:

10 Comments to Dragonmoon Tea Company: My Cup of Tulsa Tea

1. Meredith

On November 26, 2009 at 6:10 am

I'm cracking up at my goofy camera faces…we need to go back soon!

2. Renee

On November 28, 2009 at 5:01 am

I love Dragonmoon! The tea is amazing as well as the food. My favorite tea are Dragonmoon and Cream Earl Grey. I'd also love to know the history of the building.. I do know that before it was Dragonmoon it was Head Room Salon.

3. Krysalis

On April 9, 2010 at 1:47 pm

If you like green teas, the Bangkok green tea and the Cherry Kyoto green tea are amazing. Also, the Night of the Iguana Chocolate Chai is to die for.

I've only had Bangkok and the chocolate chai hot, but the Cherry Kyoto is also good over ice.

Sorry for such a late comment; I was just loving my cup of tea this morning and thought to myself "Tasha should write up Dragonmoon Tea Company!" Then it occurred to me to search the archives b/c probably you already had. ^_^

4. Cayla Alvine

On November 22, 2010 at 5:56 am

I spent a year as an exchange student in Kyoto Japan, and I have to say I probably wouldnt have gotten by if it werent for a delicious dinner of udon a couple of times a week! There is even one shop where you can eat for free if you do 30 minutes of washing after! Anyway, I found a load more tasty looking ideas at this udon recipe site.

5. Lavinia Garley

On November 30, 2010 at 11:45 am

Lovely stuff! I travelled to the UK this summer and had my first ever afternoon tea with scones , and it was so delicious I decided to try and make my own last weekend. I might have deviated from the norm though – I found a bunch of random scone recipes here and made 6 different kinds! My friends were so happy when I brought them round for tea and scones, complete with real whipped cream. Lots of fun!

6. Caitlin

On January 14, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Love this place! I work about five minutes away, so every few months I recruit a friend to join me for lunch at Dragonmoon. I have yet to have a tea that I didn’t like! I think they also do private “High Tea” parties which would simply be awesome.

7. Tasha

On January 17, 2011 at 11:58 am

Caitlin, we should totally do one of those high tea party some time. It’d be glorious.

8. Lindsay

On March 31, 2011 at 7:44 am

Dragonmoon is amazing! Every time my husband and I eat there (yes, boys can go there too!:-)), the owner/chef extraordinaire personally greets us. She is a great lady who had an extremely popular tea room in a ski town in Colorado but decided she wanted to start a tea room somewhere that would be a little less hectic. So glad she chose Tulsa!

Their desserts are amazing too, and they even have a specialty dessert menu during the holidays!

9. Stacy

On May 6, 2011 at 8:04 am

I truly love Dragonmoon! My Mother and I go to every high tea they have. What a divine treat…for all the senses! We have always had the most awesome food and service. My girlfriend in OKC found this website after we talked aout Dragonmoon and is now coming to Tulsa just to have lunch there. See you soon, Ladies!

10. picuqot.wordpress.com

On September 6, 2014 at 4:48 am

Hello! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get
    a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using
    the same blog platform as yours and I’m having difficulty
    finding one? Thanks a lot!

my weblog; picuqot.wordpress.com